Maximo Open Forum

 View Only
  • 1.  Unable to open email attachments from Maximo(.msg file extension)

    Maximo Certified
    Posted 11-29-2021 07:09
    Dear All,

    We have enabled the .msg type file extension in the Maximo system property mxe.doclink.doctypes.allowedFileExtensions.But when we try to open the emails,we are getting unreadable text messages and the system is not able to launch the attachment from outlook even though outlook is installed and is the default client to open emails.

    Could you please let us know what could be the reason for this issue and what is the workaround.

    Regards,
    Mahadevan
    #EverythingMaximo

    ------------------------------
    Mahadevan Ramakrishnan
    ------------------------------


  • 2.  RE: Unable to open email attachments from Maximo(.msg file extension)

    Maximo Certified
    Posted 12-02-2021 09:45
    We did this at my previous job without issue. Can you access the attachment on the server file system directly to make sure it isn't corrupt. IE if your files are located in \\server1\doclinks\Attachments\myemail.msg, copy that file from that UNC path to your local PC and try to open it. 

    If that doesn't work and you're confident the source file is good then there's something causing the file to get corrupted during the write (maybe an antivirus product)?

    Assuming that works, then the issue isn't with writing the attachment but retrieval of the document. If you're going through a web server (IIS/IBM HTTP Server) I'd try and enable the mxe.doclink.securedAttachment system property to let Maximo handle retrieval of the attachments. It's more secure (the web server exposes the attachments to anyone who knows how to access them whereas Maximo will enforce security restrictions with one time URLs) and typically works more reliably without having to ensure the web server is configured properly to handle the document.

    ------------------------------
    Steven Shull
    IBM
    ------------------------------



  • 3.  RE: Unable to open email attachments from Maximo(.msg file extension)

    Maximo Certified
    Posted 12-05-2021 07:39
    We changed the system property as mentioned by you after which we are unable to open any of the attachments.

    Could you please let us know what could have caused this issue and is there any other workaround solution.

    ------------------------------
    Mahadevan Ramakrishnan
    ------------------------------



  • 4.  RE: Unable to open email attachments from Maximo(.msg file extension)

    Maximo Certified
    Posted 12-05-2021 09:23

    Did you determine whether the file is being corrupted when written or retrieved? Maximo doesn't really process the file contents so I don't think Maximo corrupted it and I've never seen where it has corrupted a file. Knowing whether what is on the server is corrupt or if it's being corrupted only during retrieval is important for you to triage the issue with your IT team.

    As for secured attachments system property not working, I believe your issue there is you have misconfigured your doclinks without realizing it. When you use a web server to render attachments it's more flexible because Maximo isn't the one exposing your attachments. When you enable this property, because Java is case sensitive, you need to ensure that your naming structure matches on the DOCTYPES, DOCINFO, and the doclink system properties. 

    For example, my mxe.doclink.doctypes.defpath, mxe.doclink.doctypes.topLevelPaths, & mxe.doclink.path01 system properties are set to c:\DOCLINKS (lowercase C, uppercase everything else) in my local VM. When I'm not using secured attachments, my doctypes could be C:\DOCLINKS or c:\doclinks (or any combination thereof) and it would work. But now that I'm using secured attachments, they all must match exactly. Ensure the defaultfilepath on DOCTYPES (which you can also modify in an application like WOTRACK by using the Attachment Library/Folders->Manage Folders dialog) matches the same case on each of your folders.

    For DOCINFO you really need to do this from a database perspective unless you have only a few documents. If you're on a case sensitive database platform (DB2/Oracle) you can run a query like this to identify documents with issues (replacing with your actual path in the case that you need it to be):

    SELECT * FROM docinfo WHERE urltype='FILE' and urlname not like 'c:\DOCLINKS%';

    If you're on SQL Server it won't return results that are only due to case differences (though would find other issues like pointed to a different path). 

    While this may not solve your problem, you should make a plan to switch to utilizing secured attachments anyways. Exposing documents through the web server can cause confidential information to be leaked to unauthorized individuals. Even if only people inside your organization can access your Maximo environment, your technician would potentially be able to access purchasing documents for example that they shouldn't have access to view. It's better to have Maximo enforce the security. 



    ------------------------------
    Steven Shull
    IBM
    ------------------------------